Sunday, March 27, 2011

Floods, Mudslides, & Rain Oh My.


We got about 8 and 1/2 inches of rain in Santa Cruz this last week which doesn't sound like a lot. After seeing that video you realize how much that means. Thursday was crazy, flooding Capitola Village. The San Lorenzo river which is usually about two feet deep was 18 feet deep. I drove past it on Thursday, and I have never seen it that high before. Saturday was equally crazy flooding Capitol again. All that flooding that happened in Capitola is where we use to live on River street.

While driving through town it was chaos with mini mudslides everywhere and trees falling down blocking multiple roads, including Hwy 17. At a red light at one intersection that was flooded I opened my truck door to see how high it was and it was just below the bottom of my door. Another inch and it would have been coming into my truck. It looks like the worse is over. Thursday will be sunny and 80 degrees. I'm ready for Summer to be here.

3 comments:

Renee said...

Thanks for posting these videos! Amazing to see!

MAEH said...

That is insane! Did the city shut down?

Christy and Jason said...

Wow, that IS CrAzY! Does Ryan still live along that river? Hope they were okay.