Sunday, September 25, 2011

Our Birth Story: ISA MARIA McLEOD


Miracles happen ever day, and Friday was one of the many miracles along our pregnant journey.  Silvia was 13 days late.  We wanted to have a home birth and Friday the 23rd was the last day we had before we were to be induced at the hospital.

It was the first day of Autumn, the Equinox.  I went to work on a sunny Friday morning at 8:00.  At 11:00 I called home to find out that Silvia had started having contractions at 9:00.  I was just going into meet a new patient and I told her that I would call her right after. 
3 hours old
40 minutes later.  “How are you doing Sil?”
“You need to come home right now.  Its happening.”  I walked in the reception room and told them the great news.  I canceled the rest of my day and rushed home. 
22 hours old
Silvia was dilating quickly.  By noon she was at 5cm and by 5:55pm she was at a 10cm and ready to push.  That’s when things slowed down, and Silvia had to really dig deep.  The baby was head down, but was what is referred to as “sunny-side up,” “face-up” or  occiput posterior (OP). The back of our baby’s skull was in the back of Silvia’s pelvis.
Its estimated that 5 to 12%  of babies are face up at delivery and this percentage is higher in first time mothers. It’s common for the baby’s position to change during labor.  Unfortunately, for Silvia this did not happen.  If the baby is face down the pushing part of labor will take about 2 hours.  With the baby sunny-side up it took Silvia 4 hours of blood sweat and tears.  After seeing her power through that, I have no doubt that she can over come any challenge, any obstacle, A-N-Y-T-H-I-N-G in life!  Silvia the Brazilian Warrior Queen  gave birth to a 7lb 9oz., 21 inch long beautiful baby Equinox Princess named Isa Maria McLeod. 
As the head came out, I placed my hands under Isa’s head and with Kate our midwife I was able to “catch” Isa.  Together we lifted her up and placed her on Silvia stomach and chest.  Everything was happening so quickly now, like someone hit the fast-forward button, but for Silvia and baby Isa time stood still as their eyes locked on each other.  The baby was calm and relaxed and knew she was safe with her momma. As they lay there we rushed around them cleaning Silvia and Isa. After an hour of Siliva holding the baby and having her breast feed for the first time, I was able to hold my baby girl Isa. As we went skin to skin all I remember is feeling gratitude and a deep raw joy that started in the pit of my stomach, that burned through my chest, and flowed out my eyes. 
1 hour old
I am a proud Papa Bear.

What does ISA mean?

We named her Isa Maria McLeod.  Its pronounced like Lisa but without the "L." Isa has multiple means.  In the Philippines Isa means number one, which is fitting for our number one child.

In German Isa means "Strong-Willed One." This has been evident through out the pregnancy and will serve her well through out her life.  To be strong and determined.

In Chamorou (Mariana Islands in the South Pacific) Isa means "Rainbow".  She was differently our rainbow after the labor storm.

In Arabic Isa means "Jesus." and in Hebrew Isa means "laughter; salvation of God; the Lord helps me."  Like Jesus she will be a light to the world and be "the lords help" by helping be the answers to peoples' prayers.  I know she was an answer to ours.

Maria is Silvia's mother's name. Its origin is Latin and means "Star of the Sea"  This will be fitting when she be comes a famous surfer of the sea. 




19 comments:

maunobre said...

A-D-O-R-A-M-O-S!!!! Linda a pequena Isa! Lindos vocês que a amam tanto (nós nem conhecemos ao vivo mas amamos também).

Saúde para a pequena. Felicidades para todos vocês!

Bjão
Felipe e Pri
Direto da Selva Amazônica!!!

lisa jones said...

She is BEAUTIFUL!! We are so happy for you guys..welcome to parenthood, enjoy the ride! Can't wait to meet baby Isa next time we're in Santa Cruz.

XOXO Lisa, Roger, Taylor, Abby and Ian

Baker Family said...

She is so beautiful.

Baker Family said...

She is so beautiful.

Damaris @Kitchen Corners said...

I cried so much reading this. I remember how much Sil wanted to get pregnant, how determined she was, and above all how positive she was. I remember when everyone else was getting pregnant around her and she was still trying. I felt so bad. I remember when I was pregnant and when you and Sil came to visit us at the hospital and how genuinely happy you two were for us. I love our friendship to the moon and back!

I am so happy for you guys. I'm so happy Sil was able to get pregnant, that her pregnancy was mostly mellow, that her mom and sis got a visa (what a huge blessing), that you guys were able to do a home birth, that the baby was healthy, and I'm overjoyed and thankful to our heavenly father that he has made the two of you parents. Isa is lucky beyond words.

I suspected that Isa was posterior. That's what happened to me. I think that's why Enzo was so late. He was 15 days late! His head wasn't right. I labored for 45 hours with him in a hospital room, hooked up to an IV machine that pumped antibiotics into my body that gave me an allergic reaction I had to deal with for 3 weeks after the birth. It was awful. I also pushed for 4 hours. I wish I had been wise like Sil and labored at home. I'm sure the whole process would of been better.

Pushing that long is tremendous. I'm sure she feels just as powerful as you now see her. I know she's not thinking about this now but the second is much easier I promise. I pushed Maria for 15 minutes and didn't tear at all.

I love the name Isa Maria and I love Isa Maria already even though I'm far away. Hopefully her first trip will be down to Brazil. Tell her we have monkeys in our varanda. She'll enjoy it.

love you guys.
Beijos Da

Angie Ora said...

What a wonderful story. Silvia, you're incredible!! We love Isa Maria!

Mitch and Ali said...

Congratulations Justin and Sylvia. Isa is beautiful!

Em and Ty said...

A beautiful story and you are a warrior Silvia! Congratulations on your new baby girl. A beautiful name for a beautiful girl. Parenthood is the best!

Kristy A. said...

What an amazing story and such a beautiful little girl! Thank you for sharing with us Justin! I love her name!

So proud of you, Silvia, and hope I can be at least half as strong when my baby is being born. You are awesome :)

Christy and Jason said...

We all love the video of baby Isa! She's so cute and we can't wait to meet her!

Christy and Jason said...

We all loved the video of baby Isa. She is sooooo cute and we can't wait to meet her!

ice cream barrels said...

the japazilian has arrived! congrats, bro, lucky little hatchling, she has some awesome genes and some awesomer parents. can't wait to meet her....

Nead Family said...

Wow! What a woman! And what a beautiful baby! I've been checking every day to see the 'news' of the baby! Congrats! Yes, you are a proud papa bear! I love the 'high' there is after having a baby. It's such a pure happiness! Glad you are on this side of the fence. I went 14 days past my due date on my first. It is great to not be pregnant anymore! She is a gorgeous baby and lucky to have you two as parents! I am so happy for you guys! Love,summer

Kara said...

Congratulations you three!! Isa is absolutely adorable and I can't wait to meet her. Silvia is so strong!

Ana Paula Teeple said...

Voces sao iluminados!
Justin, obrigada por dividir essa experiencia com tanta doucura, tao lindo.
Isa Maria, voce nao tem tem ideia, mas voce eh a estrela mais sortuda desse planeta.
Silvia, nao tenho palavras pra descrever a grandiosidade que eh voce.
Parabens!

RC Cola said...

Yeah, I am so excited little Isa is finally here. She is beautiful. Poor Silvia, Athen was sunny side up also. I pushed for two and a half hours and he was an 8 pounder. I hope she didn't have as many stitches as I did and that her recovery is better and easier than mine was.

AlexisTexas said...

Congratulations! Isa is gorgeous and we are glad to hear everyone is doing well. We miss you guys, hope we can come meet the new addition someday! Isa is a lucky girl to have you guys as parents.
Lots of Love to all-Ali, Lance, Graham and Adele

Kristy said...

Such a great post that I'm just now reading. Congratulations again, I love her name. Mucho respecto and props go out to Sylvia.

Kristy said...

What a great post that I am just now reading. I love her name and what it means. Many props go to Sylvia the warrior!